Stargaze in Your Own Backyard
Stargazing is an activity that can range from romantic for couples, to curiously fantastic for families. Whether as a family or as a couple, the best part about looking to the skies is the wonders of the universe are closer than you think. Turn off the lights in your home and step out to the backyard; the stars are putting on a show!
A Little Fuel for Your Trip to the Stars
- Sharp cheddar cheese, 6 ounces, $5, available at Sprouts Farmers Market, 4330 East-West Connector, Smyrna, GA 30082
- Red and green seedless grapes, 16 ounces, $2, available at most grocers
- Wine, prices vary. Find a great selection at Canoe’s Cellar Door, 4199 Paces Ferry Road SE, Atlanta, GA 3033
- Boarshead Smoked Beechwood Ham, 8 ounces, $5, available at Publix at Paces Ferry Center, 2451 Cumberland Parkway SE, Atlanta, GA 30339
- Coconut Herb Popcorn, 27 ounces, $4, available at most grocers. Enough to last many stargazing nights. Pop at home in coconut oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and your favorite herbs from the spice rack.
- Crackers, 13 ounces, $3, available at most grocers
- Grape tomatoes, 10 ounces, $3, available at most grocers
- Baby carrots, 32 ounces, $4, available at most grocers
- White Cheddar Cheetos, 8 ounces, $3, available at most grocers
- Camera—Planning to take photos with a digital camera? To capture beautiful shots of the night sky, remember to extend your photography exposure time and use a tripod.
- Smartphone—Turn your smartphone into a stargazing tool with apps like SkyView® Free, and many others available on Android and iOS.
- Games—Play constellation bingo to enhance your stargazing fun and train your eye to recognize the patterns in the sky. Visit Pinterest.com for a broad range of free downloadable bingo cards.