Amy Farthing PT, DPT
Helping my patients achieve their maximum physical potential is my passion. It is important for all of us to maintain a healthy lifestyle to help reduce the risk of injury, especially as we age. As a physical therapist, I work with many different types of people with varied goals and backgrounds. There is no “cookie cutter” individual; therefore your goals are my goals. Whether it is recovering from surgery, a sports-related injury or whatever the case may be, we will work together to get you back to your life.
Tips for Preventing Injury
- Choose a realistic workout for you. Be sure to ease into anything new, especially anything high impact.
- Proper technique is key. Poor form can lead to injuries.
- Warm up properly. 5-10 minutes of cardio or dynamic stretching can help start your workout right to avoid injuries.
- Listen to your body. No pain/no gain is not the way to work out. You have a greater risk of injury if you are pushing through the pain.
- Vary your workouts. This will help avoid overuse injuries, provide good muscle balance and prevent boredom.
- Proper nutrition and hydration is a must. Prevent dehydration, fatigue and injury by drinking plenty of water and eating healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Cool down and stretch after working out. This is the time for those long-duration stretches to help the muscles and you cool down and relax after a good workout.
OrthoSport at WellStar Vinings Health Park, 4441 Atlanta Road SE, Smyrna, GA 30080. 470.956.0415 or WellStar.org