Tenecia Allen, M.D., WellStar Cardiologist
“I always knew I wanted to be a doctor. My mom was a nurse, so she exposed me to health care from an early age. In medical school, I fell in love with the heart.”
If you want to be proactive about your heart health but don’t have a cardiologist, I recommend the Know Your Heart screening program at WellStar Vinings Health Park. Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death for both men and women. This screening program empowers patients and provides valuable information. To schedule, call 770.956.STAR (7827).
Tips to lower your risk for heart disease
- 1. Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is a leading risk factor for heart disease, stroke and many other conditions.
- 2. Eat a heart-healthy diet. Include healthy fats, like avocados and almonds, vegetables and limit red meat.
- 3. Aim for 150 minutes of aerobic exercise per week. Hike nearby trails on the Chattahoochee while getting exercise and bonus stress relief.
- 4. Reduce stress. Consider deep breathing, spirituality or exercise.
- 5. Stop smoking. It is the most reversible cause of heart disease.
- 6. Take all medications as prescribed for your hypertension, diabetes and cholesterol.
- 7. Look for apps, support groups and, most importantly, see your doctor.
WellStar Medical Group Cardiovascular Medicine, WellStar Vinings Health Park, 4441 Atlanta Road SE, Smyrna, GA 30080. 470.956.9480 and WellStar.org