International Traveling Chef Joni Dennis Keeps it Simple When Entertaining Friends
International chef Joni Dennis loves to entertain her friends. What she doesn’t love is spending hours in the kitchen when friends come to visit. She is the quintessential queen of creating meals with ease and lightning speed.
“The key to simple meals is using five ingredients or less,” she says. “This helps keep the cost and the time to a minimum.”
This recipe fits all the requirements of a great dish. It is delicious, and the presentation is beautiful.
Star Fruit Shrimp
2 pounds fresh shrimp with shell
5 star fruits
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- 2. Boil the shrimp for 3 minutes.
- 3. Run cold water over the shrimp
- 4. Toss with Old Bay Seasoning.
- 5. Squeeze juice of two lemons over the shrimp and toss well.
- 6. Garnish with cut lemons and sliced star fruit.
Chef tip: Take the whole lemon and a small sharp knife. Carve zig-zag cuts all around the fruit. Once you’ve made it all the way around, carefully separate the halves and trim off rough edges. This is called a Van Dyke cut.